Hey guys, this is me @dheerajydv19, and in today’s blog, we will learn about how we can use Discord for osint and some amazing tips and tricks which will help you in an effective investigation.
What is Discord?
In today’s world, social media platforms have become an integral part of our lives. Discord is a popular instant messaging platform that has gained popularity among the gaming community. However, it’s not just limited to gamers; many people use it for various purposes such as business communication, education, and even personal use. As with any social media platform, Discord is a goldmine for information gathering, which is why it’s important to know how to use it for Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) gathering. In this blog post, we will explore some tips and tricks for effective Discord OSINT. (Generated by ChatGPT)
Let’s first understand about the platform features, as many of you may not be discord users. Some of the main features are -
- Servers and channels
- Voice and video calls
- Direct messages
- emojis and reactions
- integration with other services
For getting a better idea about Discord, prefer once getting familiar with it, download it from discord.com and use it for a day and explore the feature in depth.
Finding Discord Servers -
Finding discord servers in our area of interest is very simple. First, you can either directly use the search feature for searching for public servers using the desktop clients. The second option you have is to use search engine designed for this purpose.
You can also use Google dorking for finding discord servers.
The next thing that comes to our mind is filtering so that we can get the desired information faster, so below is the list of dorks/filters you can use in Discord -
- from: user - Shows results from a specific user.
- mentions: user - Shows anytime someone mentioned the specified user.
- has: link, embed or file - Shows messages that contain specified element.
- before: date - Results only show messages sent before specified date.
- during: date - Results only show messages sent on specified date.
- after: date - Results only show messages sent after specified date.
- in: channels - Results only show messages sent in specified channel.
Finding the user ID of any discord server -
- Open the Discord mobile app and enable the developer mode by navigating to user settings > behavior> developer mode in Discord’s settings.
- Open the discord server where the user is a member, and click on users.
- Find your users name in the list and tap on it and click on copy id.
Now, go to the below link and enter the discord id and click on check date, it will give you the account creation date of the user.
Similarly, you can also find the account creation date of any server too.
What if you wanted to download the chat with any user, channel or server?
Simple, just download the software from the link below and it will get your work done.
There are also a lot of discord bots search engines which can be helpful in some cases -
If you ever get a discord id and wanted to get details, you can use https://discord.id/ for discord id lookup.
Some amazing and cool hacks you can try are listed in the below github repos, you can try those for fun if you want.
List of discord console scripts
Discord console scripts & explanations of how discord work
Collection of everything discord using NodeJS
That’s it for today. We will learn more interesting in upcoming blogs. Till that keep reading other blogs on Hacklido.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Dheerajydv19